Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Design Thinking Workshop Update!

I’ve had the pleasure of spending the last few months working with a bright and energetic group of Tuckies to organize the Business and Society Conference and, more specifically, the Design Thinking workshop.

I was asked to join the team based partly on my undergrad experience in Industrial Engineering and Design and, as the meetings began and I learned more, I realized two things: How interesting this concept of Design Thinking is and how little my prior experience was applicable.
As an aspiring management/strategy consultant, I was pleased to see how prevalent Design Thinking was in the consulting world, from companies like IDEO and Innosight up to and including "The Big Three".

For those interviewing for or entering consulting, this will be a great workshop and should be immediately applicable. Clients are now expecting (if not demanding) that these concepts be present in final recommendations. It will also be really fun. This year’s workshop features a
case that Merritt Patridge* (Townsend) and I wrote about the Upper Valley Haven. Andrew Waldeck, a partner at Innosight, will be facilitating the case along with some of our wonderful Tuck professors (including our back-flipping classmate’s favorite), Renee Weeks from the UVH and two students from Dartmouth’s Design for America team. It was a really cool experience to help write a case from scratch as opposed to reading one and hoping not to get cold called.

Anyway, come enjoy free breakfast and lunch and experience a really cool workshop that should pay dividends no matter what you will be doing this summer or fall (unless you are sponsored and will be working at the Bridge Program - then you should just come for the free food).

Matt Zepernick T’13

*When I say “Merritt and I” I mean Merritt did almost everything. Thanks Merritt! She worked incredibly hard and did a fantastic job on this case. If you enjoy it, please thank her as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment